Series: Star Trek: TNG
Episode: 6.25 (June 14, 1993)
Redshirt Status: 0/20/54
Notable Guest Stars:
Patricia Tallman (Romulan) – Patricia is a background actor and stuntswoman, and worked on 3 of the 90s trek shows. She also was Laura Dern’s stunt double for Jurassic Park.
So we have another time travel episode from Brannon Braga. This time Troi, Data, Geordi and Picard are returning to the Enterprise from a conference when they stumble upon fractured time. The Enterprise and a Romulan ship turn out to be in the middle of it all, and the four left out have to investigate.Read more: The Rewatch 228: Timescape
I enjoyed this epiosde, overall. However, its not their strongest. Its not an episode I would put in a “Top Ten Must See Episodes” list. At the same time it is not bad by any means. Its just…good.
I do appreciate a few things that the episode presents. In particular Troi is shown to be less a pretty face and trouble monitor for Picard. She is relied upon for knowledge of the Romulan people and their ships. None of the characters are shown as more or less useful then the others.
Its also nice to have a Romulan episode where they are not the bad guys.
- Written by Brannon Braga based on a pitch by Mark Gehred-O’Connell
- Directed Adam Nimoy (son of Leonard Nimoy)
- Braga put a few injokes into the script, using the names of an old girlfriend and a teacher as speakers at the conference.
- Good use of characters. You don’t often see Troi involved with action sequences. She’s usually in the more dramatic scenes due to her character’s occupation.
- There was some elements of “How did that even work?” in the episode.