Series: Star Trek (The Original Series)
Episode: 1.15 Shore Leave (12-15-66)
Redshirt Status: 0/17
Notable Guest Stars:
Shirley Bonne – Ruth. She was most known for her role on the show My Sister Eileen.
Emily Banks – Yeoman Tonia Barrows. She appeared on several shows, including Dragnet, The Tim Conway Show, Bewitched and Fantasy Island.
I think this episode might have been the first episode to air that had a location shot rather then a set shot. At least that is my impression. The lighting is more natural, and they are doing further shots then they usually do, and I haven’t seen that in an episode yet.
The short version of this episode is the Crew beams down and finds their thoughts turned into reality. Something reminds them of something, they think of it, it becomes real on this planet. They investigate into this because it gets dangerous at times. Eventually a ‘Caretaker’ comes and reassures them that its all just fantasy and Kirk allows Shore Leave to continue.
Spock, of course, does not quite understand the purpose of Shore Leave.
Over all it is a good episode, a fluff episode (and low on the special effects, which probably made NBC happy). It’s not necessary to watch it, but I don’t think it needs to be skipped either.
- Directed by Robert Sparr
- Written by Theordore Sturgeon (Revised by Roddenberry)
- Apparently, memos got crossed, a failure of communication happened, and the end result of this episode is half Gene Roddenberry editing on the fly and half adlib
- Filmed at Africa USA (California)
- Sulu apparently is a weapons collector.
- The interesting thing about watching it on a 60 inch screen is that I can see the shadows of the camera gear. Which is amusing.
- A fun episode
- Gives some backstory for various characters.
- Got to feel sorry for the costume department. Third shirt torn on this series on just Kirk. (probably more considering they might need retakes)