Series: Star Trek The Next Generation
Episode: 1.05 The Last Outpost (10-19-87)
Redshirt Status: 0/0
Notable Guest Stars:
Armin Shimerman – Letek. Its odd seeing him as anything else but Quark. You might also know him from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Mike Gomze – Daimon Tarr. He has appeared in the film The Big Lebowski
Darryl Henriques – Portal. He would appear as guest and background actors on several episodes of Trek.
Ah, The Ferengi. I’m glad they decided in the end not to use the Ferengi as a villain. Because the Ferengi work much better as a frenemy then a full villain. This episode introduces them, and stars everyone’s favorite Ferangi Armin Shimerman. He would later take on the role of Quark, the Ferengi bartender on DS9. In this episode however, He is Letek, one of the Ferengi team sent down to the planet to investigate.
The episode is not particularly good plot wise. It also has a tendency to be a bit pretentious, a problem Season 1 had throughout. This is perhaps my shortest review, because honestly I couldn’t find much to say.
I am going to give this episode a 3. It could have been a lot better.
- Written by Richard Krzemien (story) and Herbert Wright (teleplay)
- Directed by Richard A. Colla
- Gene Roddenberry intended the Ferangi to be a new advisory for the Federation to replace the Klingons and Romulans of the TOS era. This was eventually dropped for a more comedic role on DS9 and Voyager.
- Introduction of the Ferangi
- “Pygmy Cretins.” Did not expect that phrase.
- This is not a particularly invigorating episode.